The Beatles were one of the most popular bands on the planet. After touring the world countless times, the Fab Four were inundated with letters from fans who sent well-wishes and gifts to them. George Harrison was quite the gentleman when it came to his fanmail, as it seems he replied to a great deal of them personally. One cheeky instance saw him responding with a lengthy set of instructions detailing how to mess up Paul McCartney’s car.
Harrison responded to Beatles super fan Susan Houghton in 1962, first thanking her for the gifts she sent his mother.
He wrote: “I hope you had a good chrimbo, and have a happy nuclear [peace sign] too. Thank you for giving my mum flowers and chocs. [It was you wasn’t it??]”
The Beatle then concluded the thanks with a quote from John Lennon, as he said: “Thanks also for the card, in fact THANKS A HEAP SUSAN. ‘Your too kind’ – John Lennon.”
Oddly enough, Harrison then went on to list seven key steps in cleaning a car – and subsequently dumping the dirty water on McCartney’s prized Ford.
READ MORE: The Beatles’ most expensive record was beaten by Wu-Tang Clan’s secret album
During a recent interview McCartney explained how he sometimes wished he was a little bit more like the 79-year-old.
McCartney said: “I always like what he does. Sometimes I wish I was a bit more like Bob.
“He’s legendary … and doesn’t give a s**t! But I’m not like that.”
The Let It Be singer was then asked about Dylan’s latest album, and if he enjoyed it.
The 78-year-old replied: “His new album? I thought it was really good. He writes really well.
“I love his singing – he came through the standards albums like a total crooner. But, yeah, I like his new stuff.
“People ask me who I’m a fan of and Bob Dylan and Neil Young always make the list.”
READ THE ORIGINAL REPORT HERE
George Harrison’s letter to a fan:
I hope you had a good chrimbo, and have a happy nuclear [peace sign] too. Thank you for giving my mum flowers and chocs. [It was you wasn’t it??] Thanks also for the card, in fact THANKS A HEAP SUSAN. “Your too kind” John Lennon
Instructions for washing car:-
1. Use plenty of soapy clean water, preferably warm.
2. When car is [though it may take a lot of water]- clean, leave to dry off for about 20 minutes. [You can have a cup of tea now].
3. Now ask mother to find some dusters, [2 each] and with the polish, apply with no.1 duster over an area of about 1 sq foot at a time, in a circular motion. Don’t leave it too long before polishing off. This should be carried out until the car is spotless, and gleaming clean. [Don’t forget the wheels!]
4. Take 1 brush or vacuum cleaner, and have a bash at the carpets. They too can be made to look like new.
5. The windows [interior] should be polished now, after which you can retire for another tea.
6. Before returning home, I suggest you look over the car again, for any parts you may have missed out, on finding, they should be cleaned accordingly.
7. Now proceed to 20 Forthlin RD. with about 6 buckets full of dirty muddy greasey water, where a shiney Ford Classic will be seen. Spread contents of the buckets evenly, so as to leave a nice film of muck over the car. You can now return home knowing you have done your deed for the day. Thank you!!!
Proceedings should be carried out about the 8th of January.
Thanks again for the cheerio for now don’t forget Ban the Bog.
Love from George [Harrison] xxxxxx”