Report: Police laid nearly 700 charges against truckers after day-long Ontario safety blitz

[ad_1]

The Ontario Provincial Police laid 697 charges against commercial drivers and took 63 transport trucks out of service during Operation Corridor, a 24-hour safety blitz conducted last week.

In partnership with the Ministry of Transportation, police stopped 1,692  trucks from June 13 to 14.

READ  Report: Canadian kids get a rough report card when it comes to physical activity

Speeding topped the list of offences, with 226 charges laid. Defective equipment ranked second at 176 charges.

Other alleged offences included:

  • Seatbelt charges: 107
  • Speed limiter charges: 38
  • Hours of Service charges: 31
  • Distracted driving charges: 28
  • Hazardous moving violations: 30
  • Following  too close: 18
READ  10 scientific benefits of being a dog owner (Details)

The blitz is part of the OPP’s Commercial Motor Vehicle Collision Mitigation Strategy. Its goal is to save lives on Ontario’s roads.

There have been 3,047 truck-related collisions reported in 2018, including 25 that were fatal. 

READ  "The Perfect Couple": Elin Hilderbrand on writing a murder mystery (Details)

The Ontario Trucking Association has said it supports tougher rules for drivers to emphasis the cost of making a mistake on the road. 

President Stephen Laskowski said the association believes it’s too easy to gain entry to the industry and hiring protocols should change.  

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *